|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 26, 2013|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
Ovum: Smartphone penetration in emerging markets to increase dramatically from 2013
Aug 7, 2012 – Richard Hurst
Application stores are gaining ground in the emerging markets of Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, South and Central America and Africa as smartphone penetration increases and users seek a richer experience on their mobile devices, says Ovum.
In a new report*, the independent telecoms analyst firm states that the increasing penetration of smartphones, mobile broadband, and the ongoing reduction of service and device prices has translated into an expansion in the use of mobile applications in emerging markets. Operators regard app stores as a key factor in growing their subscriber bases and driving network traffic.
Richard Hurst, Senior Analyst Telecoms Emerging Markets, at Ovum explains, “Smartphone penetration in emerging markets is expected to dramatically increase from 2013, and this will have a significant impact on the app store dynamic. The availability of low-cost Android, RIM and Nokia smartphones will see app stores becoming an increasingly important element of the distribution chain.
“Device and OS vendors will look to establish themselves as the leading providers of apps in emerging markets, emulating the position that they occupy in developed markets. However, in countries such as China, India, Brazil and South Africa, MNOs with strong app store propositions will fight to defend their positions,” notes Hurst.
Smartphone users are attractive targets for emerging market operators as they are early adopters and typically have a higher disposable income than average consumers.
However, the majority of applications in emerging market app stores are free or low cost as consumers have shown an unwillingness to pay for applications” concludes Hurst.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/24 Frontline Sentinel: What Java's installer should really say (Funny)
• 5/24 Frontline Sentinel: How to build C-level support for the benefits of penetration testing
• 5/23 Frontline Sentinel: "Interview with a Blackhat" by Whitehat Security
• 5/23 Gartner Says IT Spending in Indian Banking and Securities Market To Reach 422 Billion Rupees In 2013
• 5/23 Gartner Announces Rankings of Its 2013 Supply Chain Top 25
• 5/23 iSuppli: Global Touch-Screen Panel Shipments to Double by 2016, IHS Analyst Announces at SID
• 5/23 iSuppli: Falling Commodity Prices Give Buyers Using Cost Analysis the Upper Hand in Supplier Negotiations
• 5/23 Wireless Watch: New Intel chief puts post-smartphone devices at the heart of his agenda
• 5/23 Wireless Watch: Satellite spectrum under siege from cellular predators
• 5/23 Faultline: TiVo blows away numbers – still ignored by investors
• 5/23 Faultline: Yahoo gambles on social networking to make up for lost time
• 5/23 Canalys: Top iOS and Android apps largely absent on Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 - App quality not quantity now needs to be the priority for Microsoft and BlackBerry
• 5/22 2013 Security Market Outlook - Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit Preview
• 5/22 iSuppli: China’s Labor Day LCD TV Sales Surge by Double-Digit Percentage
• 5/21 Gartner Says IT Operations and Management Software Market Grew 4.8 Percent in 2012
• 5/21 iSuppli: One Quarter of All Notebooks to Ship with Touchscreens by 2016; Intel Endorses Touch Technology at SID
• 5/21 iSuppli: Can UHD Televisions Avoid the Fate of 3D Sets?
• 5/21 iSuppli: After a Year of Decline, Global Flat-Panel TV Market Ekes Out Marginal Growth in the First Quarter
• 5/21 Frontline Sentinel: Network perimeter security: How to audit remote access services
• 5/20 Gartner Says Business Intelligence/Analytics Is Top Area for CFO Technology Investment Through 2014
• 5/20 Gartner Says Worldwide Supply Chain Management Software Market Grew 7.1 Percent to Reach $8.3 Billion in 2012
• 5/20 Yahoo Acquisition of Tumblr Can Lead to Content Platforms
• 5/20 iSuppli: Top IHS Experts to Attend SID Display Week 2013
• 5/20 iSuppli: How Intel Can Enable a Successful $200 PC in the Age of the Media Tablet
• 5/16 iSuppli: Shipments of Sports and Fitness Monitors to Total One-Quarter Billion from 2013 Through 2017
• 5/16 Canalys: World-class speaker line-up announced for Canalys Channels Forums 2013 - Confirmed sponsors include Lenovo, HP, Cisco and EMC at keynote level
• 5/15 Gartner Says PC Market in Western Europe Declined 20.5 Percent in First Quarter of 2013
• 5/15 Gartner Highlights 2013 Cool Vendors That Are Transforming How Businesses Operate
• 5/15 iSuppli: Google Unlikely to Deploy its Fiber Broadband Service Nationwide
• 5/14 Asia Pacific CEOs View Themselves as Tech-Savvy Pioneers, According to Gartner CEO and Senior Business Executive Survey
• 5/14 Gartner Says Asia/Pacific Led Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales to Growth in First Quarter of 2013
• 5/14 Gartner Identifies Five Actions for Enterprise Architects to Harness the Disruption of Consumerization
• 5/14 iSuppli: Small Cells with Wi-Fi Set to Reshape Wireless Communications Market
• 5/13 Frontline Sentinel: How Facebook Updates Would Look in Real Life [Funny]
• 5/13 Gartner Says Project and Portfolio Management Software Market Grew 11 Percent in 2012
• 5/13 Gartner Says India IT Infrastructure Spending Will Reach $2.3 Billion By 2014
• 5/13 What to Expect at Google I/O
• 5/13 iSuppli: EU Antidumping Duties to Price Chinese Modules out of the European Market
• 5/13 iSuppli: Combo MEMS Inertial Sensors Motor Their Way to Brisk Growth in the Automotive Market
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/10 iSuppli: Intel VP to Discuss Low-Cost Computing Initiative at IHS/SID 2013 Business Conference Keynote
• 5/10 Ovum: Ovum comments: GB smart meter delay better late than never
• 5/10 Gartner Says India Has The Potential To Lead The World In The Nexus Of Social, Mobile, Cloud And Information But May Waste The Opportunity
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 iSuppli: Dimming PC Prospects Spur Inventory Reduction in Computer Supply Chain
• 5/9 iSuppli: At SID 2013: The Human Visual Interface as Key to Innovation in High-Performance Displays
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/9 Gartner Highlights Three Key Foundational Elements for Demand-Driven Retail Success
• 5/9 iSuppli: Korean and American Versions of Galaxy S4 as Different as Kimchee and Coleslaw, IHS Teardown Reveals