|Innovating The Next Big Thing||June 19, 2013|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
eMarketer: Evaluation of multiple research sources reveals recent changes increase focus on content-sharing
Jun 22, 2012 – eMarketer News
Facebook and Twitter, which began as platforms for sharing personal information, are rapidly growing as publishing platforms for news, video, photos and entertainment content, according to multiple research studies analyzed in a new report by eMarketer.
The report, “Facebook and Twitter as Media Platforms: News, Video, Music and Games," covers the use of Twitter and Facebook by consumers looking to access and share media, as well as how media companies and brands use these platforms to target audiences through content marketing.
One factor affecting growth is the launch of Facebook's Timeline interface in late 2011, which puts greater focus on media activity compared with the previous iteration of the Facebook newsfeed, eMarketer found.
According to multiple studies and interviews analyzed in the report, Timeline has significantly increased user engagement with content on the site. A Simply Measured report from February, for example, found that worldwide content engagement on Facebook had gone up 46% since before Timeline.
BMW of North America’s social media manager, Kate Alini, told eMarketer in an interview that she sees Facebook as a “headquarters for social engagement.”
Twitter is also growing as a destination for both media consumers and suppliers, thanks in part to the company's recently launched #Discover interface.
According to the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism, 39% of Twitter users said most of the news they got on Twitter in January 2012 was not material they would have read elsewhere. On Facebook, the corresponding percentage was a bit lower at 34%. This means that, by eMarketer’s estimates of the Twitter and Facebook user bases in 2012, more than 11 million Twitter users and more than 48 million Facebook users are getting news on those services.
The full report also details how Twitter and Facebook have also become hubs for gaming, video, and photo-sharing. Key takeaways:
eMarketer evaluated hundreds of third-party research findings for the report, eventually selecting data from several vetted sources, including comScore, Flurry Analytics, Pew Research Center, PopCap Games, Simply Measured, and VEVO.
eMarketer also conducted interviews with executives at several media companies and brands, including BMW, Converse, Facebook, GE, Kraft Foods, National Hockey League, VEVO, Oreo, Procter & Gamble, TBG Digital, and The Washington Post.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: The Defense Department Lists Mobile Security as a Top Priority
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: The Strategic Consumer
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Keeping Your Small Business Safe from Cyberattacks
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Exciting Times for SMBs at National Small Business Week!
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Why whitelisting is ready for Enterprise desktops
• 6/13 Gartner Says Cloud Office Systems Total 8 Percent of the Overall Office Market and Will Rise to 33 Percent by 2017
• 6/13 Gartner Says Worldwide External Controller-Based Disk Storage Market Grew 0.6 Percent in First Quarter of 2013
• 6/13 Faultline: Vodafone Kabel Deutschland talks confirmed, deal could be dusted in days
• 6/13 Faultline: Comcast sneaks in Homespot revolution as “Neighborhood Hotspots”
• 6/13 McAfee Blogs: Two Steps are Better Than One: Make a Hacker’s Job Harder with Two-step Verification
• 6/12 Gartner Announces Keynote Speakers for its Supply Chain Executive Conference 2013 in Australia
• 6/12 Gartner Says by 2019, 90 Percent of Organizations Will Have Personal Data on IT Systems They Don't Own or Control
• 6/12 iSuppli: Doing What It Does Best: Apple Reinvents Existing iPhones with iOS7 and Competitive Music Launch
• 6/12 McAfee Blogs: Moving up with McAfee Complete Endpoint Protection
• 6/12 McAfee Blogs: Can you answer these three smart business questions about authentication?
• 6/12 HP Security lab Blog: Top 10 things for security people to do at HP Discover 2013 - Las Vegas, NV
• 6/12 HP Security Lab Blog: HP introduces HAVEn to combat $4 billion cyber-theft in Big Data space
• 6/11 Gartner Says Worldwide Security Market to Grow 8.7 Percent in 2013
• 6/11 Gartner Says Less than 10 Percent of Enterprises Have a True Information Strategy
• 6/10 Ovum: Analyst view: Google to buy Waze
• 6/10 Ovum: Analyst view: Apple acknowledges the need for user interface refresh and is willing to do something pretty dramatic
• 6/10 Gartner Forecasts Indian Business Intelligence Software Revenue to Reach $113 Million In 2013
• 6/10 iSuppli: It’s a Tie: Bosch and STM Hold Joint Honors as No. 1 MEMS Suppliers for 2012
• 6/10 iSuppli: 1.3GW of PV Installations Eliminated by EU Anti-Dumping Duties in 2013; Double-Digit Global Growth Still Likely
• 6/10 Wireless Watch: Small Cell World Summit: industry poised to kickstart volume roll-outs
• 6/10 Wireless Watch: Cisco seeks leading role in wireless via small cells
• 6/10 McAfee Blogs: Syrian Crisis Reminds Us to Beware of ‘Charity’ Scams
• 6/9 Frontline Sentinel: Whistleblower (Edward Snowden) Behind the NSA Surveillance Speaks Out [Interview]
• 6/9 Slate: If the NSA Trusted Edward Snowden With Our Data, Why Should We Trust the NSA?
• 6/8 Gartner Says Business Analytics Will Be Central for Business Reinvention
• 6/8 Frontline Sentinel: Practical Tips to Improve Network Security with What You Already Have: Part 2 of 2
• 6/7 Gartner Says India Enterprise Software Market To Reach $3.92 Billion in 2013
• 6/7 iSuppli: Event Cinema Market Takes Off in Europe
• 6/7 McAfee Blogs: Koobface Count Correction
• 6/6 Ovum: Ovum announces winners of inaugural “BYOX Strategy” awards
• 6/6 Ovum: Analyst view: SFDC acquisition of ExactTarget is expensive, but offers significant product synergies
• 6/6 Gartner Says Worldwide Business Intelligence, CPM and Analytic Applications/Performance Management Software Market Grew Seven Percent in 2012
• 6/6 Faultline: Cloud browsers to gut the set top market – ActiveVideo leading the chase
• 6/6 Faultline: TiVo wins its biggest ever settlement - share price barely nods
• 6/6 Canalys: Canalys launches ‘Partner Program Analysis’ service - The latest addition to Canalys’ leading channels research offerings
• 6/6 McAfee Blogs: Forgo Pressure to ‘Share’ and Boost Your Privacy
• 6/6 McAfee Blogs: Summer Web Safety: A Cautionary Tale About The Internet
• 6/6 McAfee Blogs: Malicious Dating, Ad Services Plague Japanese Users
• 6/6 McAfee Blogs: Locking Down Desktops With McAfee’s Application Control
• 6/6 McAfee Blogs: Fraudulent Adult Dating Services Turn 10 Years Old, Still Evolving
• 6/6 HP Security Lab Blog: Combating professional security threats
• 6/5 Ovum: Ovum warns BYOD is here to stay and urges CIOs to respond with a clear strategy
• 6/5 What to Expect at Apple's WWDC
• 6/5 Gartner Says Organizations Must Treat Information as an Asset in its Own Right
• 6/5 Gartner Looks At The Impact of U.S. Visa Legislation on India Offshore Outsourcing in Upcoming Webinar