|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 25, 2013|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
McAfee Blogs: Malicious App Sends Bogus Facebook Warnings
Jun 6, 2012 – Umesh Wanve
Today, I received a couple of requests from my friends on Facebook. Each included the phrase “WARNING FROM FACEBOOK TEAM.” The requests looked suspicious because they came from friends, and the Facebook team never sends such warnings. A little quick analysis found that those requests were actually sent from a fake application called hxxp://apps.facebook.com/secureverifyssdc/. Here is how the requests look:
Once a victim follows the fake request, the application asks for basic permissions. Once granted, the malware takes the victim to the application homepage, which shows this fake warning:
The warnings read: “Announcement From FACEBOOK Verification Team. All Profiles Must Be Verified Before 10th June 2012 To Avoid Scams and Scams under SOPA ACT. The Unverified Accounts Will Be Terminated. Verify Your Accounts By Below Steps.” The scammer has used terms such as “Facebook verification team” and “SOPA ACT” term to scare users into believing that the warning is legitimate and has come from the real Facebook team. The warning next asks users to complete a few steps to verify their accounts. The first step sends fake invitation requests to add this application to the victim’s friend list.
Victims must send requests to all their friends to go to next step. The application also verifies if victims click the cancel button by displaying another message. Once victims send requests to friends, they have to complete the final step, which asks victims to take several surveys that help the scammer earn money.
We have seen such scams before and in every case the motive is to make money by suckering users into completing surveys. Afterward, victims get to see a YouTube video.
This video has been seen 627,000 times. Comments from the last four months reveal victims of this scam worried about their Facebook accounts and asking for help. Here are a few recent comments:
The stats count of this video looks scary and shows that this fake application may have existed on Facebook for a long time, or this video may be used in different Facebook scams. We can guess that most of the statistics for this video have come from different Facebook scams or this fake application. The comments from Facebook users show their lack of security savvy and the danger of using social networking platforms. The good news is that the real Facebook team appears to have found this fake application. Here’s a legitimate comment:
The Facebook team has removed this application completely from the directory, but we believe that more fake applications may still exist.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Network & Information Security articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 5/12 Frontline Sentinel: Two-Factor Authentication for Social Media Sites
• 5/10 McAfee Blogs: RealTime for ePO – Optimized Endpoint Security
• 5/10 Ovum: Ovum comments: GB smart meter delay better late than never
• 5/10 Gartner Says India Has The Potential To Lead The World In The Nexus Of Social, Mobile, Cloud And Information But May Waste The Opportunity
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: NSA's Manual on Hacking the Internet
• 5/9 Frontline Sentinel: 8 charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
• 5/9 Gartner Highlights Three Key Foundational Elements for Demand-Driven Retail Success
• 5/9 iSuppli: Korean and American Versions of Galaxy S4 as Different as Kimchee and Coleslaw, IHS Teardown Reveals
• 5/9 eMarketer: eMarketer: Emerging Markets Drive Facebook User Growth
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Microsoft/Nokia alliance at crossroads as both ponder OS futures
• 5/9 Wireless Watch: Apple must rethink far more than the iOS user interface
• 5/9 Faultline: Quantenna gets closer to ST Micro, expect it to get “ascloseasthis”
• 5/9 Faultline: Microsoft volunteers to take Nook, as Barnes and Noble start to breakup
• 5/9 Canalys: Smart mobile device shipments exceed 300 million in Q1 2013 - Android powers 59% of smart phones, tablets and notebooks
• 5/8 McAfee Blogs: Cybercriminals Celebrate – It’s Mothers Day!!
• 5/8 Ovum: Government policy-makers need to create a level playing field for cloud services procurement
• 5/8 Gartner Says Smart Organizations Will Embrace Fast and Frequent Project Failure in Their Quest for Agility
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: How Secure Are Your Social Accounts?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: The Password Problem. Is it Your Problem?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Have you met McAfee’s SIEM?
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: NCCDC 2013 – Red Team Recap
• 5/7 HP Security Lab Blog: HP TippingPoint announces Security Management System 3.6
• 5/7 McAfee Blogs: Yes, There are “Mother’s Day” Scams
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst View: TPG looks to become Australia’s fourth MNO
• 5/7 Ovum: Analyst view: UK G-Cloud to champion public cloud
• 5/7 Gartner Says CIOs Will Need to Manage Both Technology and Business Innovation to Gain Competitive Advantage with Big Data
• 5/6 Gartner Says Indian Public Cloud Services Market To Reach $443 Million In 2013
• 5/6 iSuppli: IHS Discusses How PCs Can Survive the Tablet Invasion, at the SID Touch Gesture Motion Event
• 5/6 McAfee Blogs: Emerging ‘Stack Pivoting’ Exploits Bypass Common Security
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Intel, McAfee Investing in Network Security; Strength through Acquisition
• 5/5 McAfee Blogs: Change Your Password Day – Get Onboard!
• 5/5 Frontline Sentinel: iFrame drive-by attack demo [Anatomy of Attack online]
• 5/3 Frontline Sentinel: Basic Use of Maltego for Network Intelligence Gathering
• 5/3 iSuppli: Russian, Eastern European Video Surveillance Market to Double from 2012 to 2017
• 5/3 McAfee Blogs: AP, Burger King, LivingSocial….Who’ll be Hacked Next?
• 5/2 iSuppli: SSDs to Account for One-Third of Worldwide PC Storage Shipments by 2017
• 5/2 iSuppli: PV Inverter Supplier Base Fragments in 2012 – Minimal Impact From Recent M&A Activity in 2013
• 5/2 McAfee Blogs: Healthcare Cloud Enabled Analytics is Growing
• 5/2 Ovum: Analyst view: Facebook’s Q1 2013 results
• 5/2 Australian Organizations to Spend A$70 Million on Business Process Management Suites in 2013: Gartner
• 5/2 Worldwide Semiconductor Assembly and Test Services Market Grew 2.1 Percent in 2012, According to Final Results by Gartner
• 5/2 Wireles Watch: ZigBee Alliance completes Smart Energy Profile 2:
• 5/2 Wireless Watch: AMD, AT&T and Ericsson – wireless value chain shifts to IoT
• 5/2 Faultline: Netflix Hastings predicts OTT world – should stick to profit predictions
• 5/2 Faultline: Ziggo to add 1m homespots by August, work with Liberty Global
• 5/2 Canalys: Canalys launches ‘Appcessory Analysis’ service - First analyst firm to launch a dedicated continuous information service in this space
• 5/1 McAfee Blogs: BadNews for Good People
• 5/1 Frontline Sentinel: The PR Implications Of Cyber Security
• 5/1 HP Security Lab Blog: So, you want to build a Security Operations Center...
• 5/1 HP Security Lab Blog: The new era of security intelligence, part 1