|Innovating The Next Big Thing||February 28, 2015|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
• Ghost City
Barry's Book Shop
Ovum: Ovum sees tablets impacting wealth management and corporate banking sectors in a big way
May 2, 2012 – Rik Turner
Organisations in the wealth management and corporate banking sectors have yet to realise the potential for easy and enjoyable content consumption represented by tablets, according to Ovum. A tablet’s slick, gesture-driven user interface and shareable screen is ideal for helping customer meetings run more smoothly and effectively.
In a new report*, the independent technology analysts look at support for tablet devices in corporate banking, to accommodate treasurers’ needs when they are out of the office, and in wealth management, as an aid to customer interaction in face-to-face meetings.
“The financial sector as a whole has come out of the global crisis with an urgent need to rebuild its credibility with a disillusioned public,” says Rik Turner, senior analyst at Ovum and author of the report. “In certain sub-verticals such as wealth management more “face-time” with the customer can help this rebuilding process.”
Furthermore, as most divide their assets up to be managed by different wealth management providers, a well-executed meeting carried out with the aid of a tablet may attract further business away from a competitor.
In extending their platforms’ functionality to tablets, Ovum finds that most of the independent software vendors (ISVs) that address these financial market segments currently prefer the downloadable to the browser-based app. This may be changing, however, as significant improvements are taking place in the technologies that enable the latter.
“HTML5 is becoming more robust and will gain momentum through 2012,” says Turner. “Features such as the ability to work offline, access on-device contact lists, and so on, are in development and although there is still a significant drawback to be addressed in the form of code security, this too may not be an insurmountable obstacle.”
With these improvements combined with the downloadable apps’ immense shortcoming – a different version must be written for each operating system the developer wants them to run on – Ovum expects to see more companies looking at browser-based functionality a year from now.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 2/12 Faultline: Streaming services “chip away” at Broadcast TV
• 2/12 Faultline: WiFi Alliance voices “concerns” over growing LAA services
• 2/12 Faultline: “Survey shows linear TV’s hold is slipping as viewing habits shift
• 2/12 Faultline: Charter Q4 results show footprint growth but not profit
• 2/12 Faultline: “Internet services will face increasing content costs”
• 2/11 Canalys News: Over 720,000 Android Wear devices shipped in 2014
• 2/5 Faultline: Two newest Telefonica UK MVNO partners show positive results
• 2/5 Faultline: SeaChange jettisons staff to stay afloat
• 2/3 Canalys News: Media alert: Micromax reaches number one in smart phones in India for the first timef
• 2/2 Canalys News: Worldwide tablet shipments fall for the first time – down by 12% in Q4 2014
• 1/30 HP Security Products Blog: “I’m just here so I don’t get fined”Enterprise security: What’s new for the week of January 26, 2015
• 1/30 HP Security Products Blog: “I’m just here so I don’t get fined”
• 1/30 McAfee Blog Central: Hackers Access Taylor Swift’s Social Accounts. Her Advice: Shake It Off
• 1/30 McAfee Blog Central: New Year, New Opportunities; Special Guest Scott Lovett
• 1/30 IBM News: IBM Research To Lead Company's Advanced Computer Chip R&D At SUNY Polytechnic Institute
• 1/30 IBM News: IBM Announces Services Center in UK, Creating up to 300 New Tech Roles
• 1/30 IBM News: IBM serves real time interactive data to fans at the Australian Open
• 1/29 HP Security Products Blog: The effect of management turnover in your SOC
• 1/29 HP Security Products Blog: HP TippingPoint DVLabs threat assessment--Ghost
• 1/29 Ovum: Apple Watch could bring an extra US$16.5bn to Apple’s revenues by 2020
• 1/29 Wireless Watch: Apple posts record numbers, but it all hinges on the iPhone
• 1/29 Wireless Watch: As Samsung’s low end dash crushes profits, Huawei turns premium
• 1/29 Wireless Watch: Sky defects from Vodafone to O2 to join UK quad play race
• 1/29 Wireless Watch: India lowers spectrum prices, but not as far as GSMA wants
• 1/29 Faultline: UK communications numbers mostly heading in the right direction
• 1/29 Faultline: Broadband Delivered sports to increase 10-fold by 2025
• 1/29 Faultline: Apple posts record numbers, success hinges entirely on iPhones
• 1/29 Faultline: Sky throws in its quad play hand with Telefonica
• 1/29 Faultline: Vultures circle as India enters final cable digitization phase
• 1/29 Faultline: Imagine buys RGB Networks for multiscreen delivery portfolio
• 1/29 RSA Security News: EMC Reports Full-Year 2014 Financial Results, Record Fourth-Quarter Revenue
• 1/29 McAfee Blog Central: What We Need to Fight Back (Blog 1 of 4)
• 1/29 McAfee Blog Central: Super Scammers Flock to Super Bowl. Here’s How to Avoid Them
• 1/29 McAfee Blog Central: To Make Security Work for Work, Companies Need to Invest in Automatic Solutions
• 1/29 Intel News: 5th Generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ Processors Aim to Transform Today's Workplace
• 1/29 IBM News: IBM Research and Mars, Incorporated Launch Pioneering Effort to Drive Advances in Global Food Safety
• 1/29 Cyber Trust Blog: The Importance of Effective Information Sharing
• 1/28 Gartner Says By 2017, U.S. Customers' Mobile Engagement Behavior Will Drive Mobile Commerce Revenue to 50 percent of U.S. Digital Commerce Revenue
• 1/28 iSuppli: Apple's record iPhone results prove no mobile market leader's position is ever secure
• 1/28 Symantec News: Symantec Selects Veritas Technologies Corporation as the Name for its Independent Information Management Company
• 1/28 McAfee Blog Central: 2015 – Intel Releases New Discovery Education Module on Cybersecurity
• 1/28 McAfee Blog Central: 2015 – Time to Reexamine Cyber Parenting and Cyber Safety
• 1/28 IBM News: IBM Research Announces Cloud Breakthrough For Protecting Personal Data
• 1/28 Cyber Trust Blog: Data Privacy Day in a World of Cloud Computing
• 1/27 Gartner Says Power Shift in Business Intelligence and Analytics Will Fuel Disruption
• 1/27 Canalys News: Media alert: Apple takes top spot in China for first time in smart phones
• 1/27 McAfee Blog Central: Mobile Ad Networks Puncture Your Personal Defenses
• 1/27 McAfee Blog Central: Security Skills Shortage? Don’t Panic!
• 1/27 IBM News: EMLYON Business School to Create a 'Smart Business School' via IBM Cloud
• 1/27 Cyber Trust Blog: Six Proposed Norms to Reduce Conflict in Cyberspace