|Innovating The Next Big Thing||April 26, 2015|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
• Ghost City
Barry's Book Shop
iSuppli: Driven by LTE, China’s Wireless Infrastructure Investment will Peak in 2014
Apr 24, 2012 – Hailin Zhao
Increasing expenditures on equipment intended to support the rollout of 4G long term evolution (LTE) wireless services are expected to cause China’s total spending on mobile infrastructure gear to peak at $11.2 billion in 2014, according to the IHS iSuppli China Electronics Research Service at information and analytics provider IHS (NYSE: IHS).
“Time-division (TD) LTE is undergoing pre-commercial trials in China, which will continue through the second half of 2012,” said Hailin Zhao, analyst for China electronics research at IHS. “However, actual LTE services will start to launch in 2013, boosting infrastructure gear expenditures. The year 2014 will mark the peak of the current infrastructure gear spending cycle until the next generation of wireless investment begins.”
This year, China’s mobile infrastructure spending will decrease by 7 percent to $9.9 billion, down from $10.7 billion in 2011. In 2013, spending will inch up 1 percent to $10.0 billion before rising by an impressive 12 percent in 2014, as shown in the figure below.
Explosion of Subscribers
Out of this total, 2G subscribers increased 6.7 percent to 848.2 million. Meanwhile 3G subscribers grew explosively by 171.0 percent to 127.5 million.
At the end of 2011, China Unicom had deployed 240,000 wideband code division multiple access (WCDMA) base stations with more than 720,000 carrier sectors (CS). Meanwhile, China Telecom deployed about 400,000 base stations with over 1.4 million CS. Furthermore, the number of TD-SCDMA (time-dvision synchronous code division multiple access) base stations in operation reached 200,000 with 1.5 million CS.
In terms of the GSM network, there were 680,000 base stations with more than 7.5 million transceivers (TRXs) operated by China Mobile, compared to 380,000 base stations with over 2.0 million TRXs that were deployed by China Unicom. Moreover, China’s broadband network volume reached 230 million ports, up 25.7 percent from the end of 2010.
China Mobile Nearly Finished with TD-LTE Trials
More than 10,000 evolved UMTS (universal mobile telecommunications systems) terrestrial radio access network node Bs (eNodeBs) were planned to be built. Three cities—Beijing, Tianjin and Qingdao—will take part in the second round of the trial.
The second phase of the trial will focus mainly on testing TD/SCDMA and TD-LTE dual-mode equipment and devices. This will allow China Mobile to practice large-scale commercial deployments and to enhance its interconnection and interworking capability, such as roaming and handover, among different vendors’ TD-LTE equipment and devices.
IHS estimates that the total investment will reach as much as $500 million for the second round. Most of the eNodeBs deployed in the next trial can reuse the current TD-SCDMA network resources, including civil works and fiber optical, to greatly reduce total capital expenditures.
China Mobile also plans to launch its TD-LTE pre-commercial in Shenzhen and Hangzhou during the second half of 2012, with the total number of TD-LTE eNodeBs amounting to 20,000 units. If TDLTE licenses can be issued at the end of 2012 or at the beginning of 2013, the operator will complete its coverage in the densely populated areas at various municipalities, provincial capitals and cities specially designated in the state plan by the end of 2013, and then go on to seamlessly cover the urban areas at or above the county-level cities by the end of 2014.
IHS estimates that the number of TD-LTE eNodeBs will amount to 150,000 units by the end of 2015, with the next round of wireless infrastructure investment in China to peak in 2014.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 4/17 McAfee Blog Central: Cybercriminals upped their game in 2014, according to Verizon report
• 4/17 McAfee Blog Central: Breaking Beebone: Global Takedown, Local Shut Down
• 4/16 IBM News: IBM Opens Threat Intelligence to Combat Cyber Attacks
• 4/15 McAfee Blog Central: Botnet to Cybersecurity: Catch Me If You Can
• 4/15 IBM News: IBM Confers Highest Technical Honor to 10 New Fellows
• 4/14 Symantec News: Deceptive New Tactics Give Advanced Attackers Free Reign Over Corporate Networks
• 4/14 McAfee Blog Central: Taking a Close Look at Data-Stealing NionSpy File Infector
• 4/14 McAfee Blog Central: Verizon Report Foreshadows Breaches Originating With IoT Devices
• 4/14 Intel News: Intel Reports First-Quarter Revenue of $12.8 Billion, Consistent with Revised Forecast
• 4/14 IBM News: Johnson & Johnson and IBM Announce Plans to Collaborate on Advanced Solutions Designed to Transform Healthcare Delivery
• 4/13 Symantec News: Symantec Expands Incident Response Services Globally
• 4/13 Symantec Connect: The Old and New; The Difficulties of Keeping Up To Date
• 4/13 McAfee Blog Central: Do you have a mobile wallet?
• 4/13 IBM News: IBM Acquires Explorys to Accelerate Cognitive Insights for Health and Wellness
• 4/13 IBM News: IBM to Acquire Phytel to Help Healthcare Providers Deliver Higher Value Care
• 4/13 Cyber Trust Blog: A cornerstone to trust in technology – compliance – proves foundational as more U.S. government organizations adopt cloud services
• 4/9 McAfee Blog Central: Takedown Stops Polymorphic Botnet
• 4/9 McAfee Blog Central: Reducing your breach risk through vendor consolidation
• 4/9 Intel News: U.S. Department of Energy Selects Intel to Deliver Nation's Most Powerful Supercomputer at Argonne National Laboratory
• 4/9 IBM News: IBM Research Sets New Record for Tape Storage
• 4/9 IBM News: IBM and Barcelona Supercomputing Center – Centro Nacional de Supercomputación Celebrate a Decade of Collaboration
• 4/8 McAfee Blog Central: Phishers take on the White House and win
• 4/8 Intel News: Intel Marks 30 Years in China with New Products, Investments and Collaborations
• 4/8 IBM News: U.S. Army Taps IBM Hybrid Cloud for One of Federal Government's Biggest Logistics Systems
• 4/8 Cyber Trust Blog: Transparency & Trust in the Cloud Series: Omaha and Des Moines
• 4/7 IBM News: NASA and IBM Rally Global Developers around Space Exploration on the IBM Cloud
• 4/7 IBM News: Coca-Cola Amatil Improves its Customer Experience with IBM Cloud
• 4/6 Symantec News: Symantec to Webcast Quarterly Earnings Call
• 4/6 McAfee Blog Central: 4 Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Digital Life
• 4/6 Intel News: Intel to Change Financial Reporting Structure
• 4/2 Intel News: Intel Publishes 2014 Annual Report and 2015 Proxy Statement; Sets Date for Annual Stockholders' Meeting
• 4/2 Intel News: Ingenico Group and Intel to Bring Payments to the Internet of Things
• 4/2 IBM News: IBM Rolls Out Social Messaging Software for a New Way to Work
• 4/2 IBM News: IBM and China Telecom Partner to Accelerate Mobile Enterprise Adoption in China
• 4/1 McAfee Blog Central: British Airways frequent flyers report stolen air miles
• 4/1 IBM News: 4 Out Of 5 Consumers Declare Brands Don’t Know Them As An Individual, According to IBM and Econsultancy Study
• 3/31 McAfee Blog Central: The Scan: 5 Habits of Practically Unhackable People
• 3/31 IBM News: IBM Connects “Internet of Things” to the Enterprise
• 3/31 IBM News: IBM and The Weather Company Partner to Bring Advanced Weather Insights to Business
• 3/31 Ovum: WhatsApp takes on the challenge of VoIP communications
• 3/31 Gartner Says Mobile App Adoption Is Maturing as Usage Mellows
• 3/31 Gartner Says Asia Pacific Devices Shipments to Grow 3.2 Percent in 2015
• 3/31 Cyber Trust Blog: RSA Conference 2015: Enhancing Cloud Trust
• 3/31 HP Security Products Blog: Join us at the HP Software Government Summit--on April 7th!
• 3/30 McAfee Blog Central: Endpoint Security Questions Every Leader Should Ask
• 3/30 HP Security Products Blog: Enterprise network security: What’s new for the week of March 23, 2015
• 3/27 Ovum: Facebook’s Messenger Platform takes measured steps towards a richer user experience
• 3/27 eMarketer: UK to Achieve World First as Half of Media Ad Spend Goes Digital
• 3/27 HP Security Products Blog: Securing the Internet of Things: Mapping IoT attack surface areas with the OWASP IoT Top 10 project
• 3/26 McAfee Blog Central:Cloud Computing – It’s a Question of Trust