|Innovating The Next Big Thing||April 26, 2015|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
• Ghost City
Barry's Book Shop
iSuppli: Insatiable China to gobble up 84 MILLION PCs in 2012 Ultrabooks, Windows 8 and Ivy Bridge to fuel 13 per cent growth
Apr 19, 2012 – Phil Muncaster
China has cemented its position not only as the global leader in PC production but also an avid consumer, with sales set to surge 13 per cent in 2012 - more than twice the worldwide average.
The latest stats from market watcher IHS iSuppli predict shipments of 83.6 million units this year, up from 73.9 million units in 2011 and 67m in 2010, driven by Windows 8, Ultrabooks and Ivy Bridge.
These figures are all the more impressive when compared to Gartner’s recent predictions that worldwide PC shipments would grow by just 4.4 per cent during 2012.
China currently accounts for 22 per cent of the PC market and produces a whopping 90 per cent of the world’s supply of kit, according to iSuppli.
The country’s desktop PC will not be impacted by Thailand's flooding, which put a severe dent in the hard disk drive supply chain last year but which iSuppli says offers vendors great opportunities to flog gear to medical, traffic, energy and utilities firms looking to replace or purchase new systems in 2012.
However, it is the launch of Windows 8 and Intel’s Ivy Bridge processors which iSuppli said will really spur growth in the second half of the year, with the new operating system in particular giving rise to even more affordable PCs.
Ultrabooks will drive the notebook category in China, as they are threatening to do all over the world, accounting for 15-20 per cent of shipments in the People’s Republic in 2012.
However, pricing and performance have held them back so far, so it will be with the launch of Ivy Bridge that this Intel-led category begins to take off. For that to happen, prices must come down to the notebook average in China of 4-6000 yuan (£395-£595), the analyst argued.
There's no guarantee that this will happen in 2012, however, with some reports suggesting budget Ultrabooks won't be around until 2013, so iSuppli could be jumping the gun a bit on this prediction.
In the domestic PC market, Lenovo remains top with an overall share of around a third, while Acer has fought back after some well publicised losses to take second spot in the notebook market with a 9.5 per cent share, thanks to growth in Ultrabooks and all-in-one PCs.
HP, which has just five per cent of the Chinese PC market, is pinning its hopes on a range of new Windows 8 tablets in the second half of the year, iSuppli said. ®
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 4/17 McAfee Blog Central: Cybercriminals upped their game in 2014, according to Verizon report
• 4/17 McAfee Blog Central: Breaking Beebone: Global Takedown, Local Shut Down
• 4/16 IBM News: IBM Opens Threat Intelligence to Combat Cyber Attacks
• 4/15 McAfee Blog Central: Botnet to Cybersecurity: Catch Me If You Can
• 4/15 IBM News: IBM Confers Highest Technical Honor to 10 New Fellows
• 4/14 Symantec News: Deceptive New Tactics Give Advanced Attackers Free Reign Over Corporate Networks
• 4/14 McAfee Blog Central: Taking a Close Look at Data-Stealing NionSpy File Infector
• 4/14 McAfee Blog Central: Verizon Report Foreshadows Breaches Originating With IoT Devices
• 4/14 Intel News: Intel Reports First-Quarter Revenue of $12.8 Billion, Consistent with Revised Forecast
• 4/14 IBM News: Johnson & Johnson and IBM Announce Plans to Collaborate on Advanced Solutions Designed to Transform Healthcare Delivery
• 4/13 Symantec News: Symantec Expands Incident Response Services Globally
• 4/13 Symantec Connect: The Old and New; The Difficulties of Keeping Up To Date
• 4/13 McAfee Blog Central: Do you have a mobile wallet?
• 4/13 IBM News: IBM Acquires Explorys to Accelerate Cognitive Insights for Health and Wellness
• 4/13 IBM News: IBM to Acquire Phytel to Help Healthcare Providers Deliver Higher Value Care
• 4/13 Cyber Trust Blog: A cornerstone to trust in technology – compliance – proves foundational as more U.S. government organizations adopt cloud services
• 4/9 McAfee Blog Central: Takedown Stops Polymorphic Botnet
• 4/9 McAfee Blog Central: Reducing your breach risk through vendor consolidation
• 4/9 Intel News: U.S. Department of Energy Selects Intel to Deliver Nation's Most Powerful Supercomputer at Argonne National Laboratory
• 4/9 IBM News: IBM Research Sets New Record for Tape Storage
• 4/9 IBM News: IBM and Barcelona Supercomputing Center – Centro Nacional de Supercomputación Celebrate a Decade of Collaboration
• 4/8 McAfee Blog Central: Phishers take on the White House and win
• 4/8 Intel News: Intel Marks 30 Years in China with New Products, Investments and Collaborations
• 4/8 IBM News: U.S. Army Taps IBM Hybrid Cloud for One of Federal Government's Biggest Logistics Systems
• 4/8 Cyber Trust Blog: Transparency & Trust in the Cloud Series: Omaha and Des Moines
• 4/7 IBM News: NASA and IBM Rally Global Developers around Space Exploration on the IBM Cloud
• 4/7 IBM News: Coca-Cola Amatil Improves its Customer Experience with IBM Cloud
• 4/6 Symantec News: Symantec to Webcast Quarterly Earnings Call
• 4/6 McAfee Blog Central: 4 Tips for Spring Cleaning Your Digital Life
• 4/6 Intel News: Intel to Change Financial Reporting Structure
• 4/2 Intel News: Intel Publishes 2014 Annual Report and 2015 Proxy Statement; Sets Date for Annual Stockholders' Meeting
• 4/2 Intel News: Ingenico Group and Intel to Bring Payments to the Internet of Things
• 4/2 IBM News: IBM Rolls Out Social Messaging Software for a New Way to Work
• 4/2 IBM News: IBM and China Telecom Partner to Accelerate Mobile Enterprise Adoption in China
• 4/1 McAfee Blog Central: British Airways frequent flyers report stolen air miles
• 4/1 IBM News: 4 Out Of 5 Consumers Declare Brands Don’t Know Them As An Individual, According to IBM and Econsultancy Study
• 3/31 McAfee Blog Central: The Scan: 5 Habits of Practically Unhackable People
• 3/31 IBM News: IBM Connects “Internet of Things” to the Enterprise
• 3/31 IBM News: IBM and The Weather Company Partner to Bring Advanced Weather Insights to Business
• 3/31 Ovum: WhatsApp takes on the challenge of VoIP communications
• 3/31 Gartner Says Mobile App Adoption Is Maturing as Usage Mellows
• 3/31 Gartner Says Asia Pacific Devices Shipments to Grow 3.2 Percent in 2015
• 3/31 Cyber Trust Blog: RSA Conference 2015: Enhancing Cloud Trust
• 3/31 HP Security Products Blog: Join us at the HP Software Government Summit--on April 7th!
• 3/30 McAfee Blog Central: Endpoint Security Questions Every Leader Should Ask
• 3/30 HP Security Products Blog: Enterprise network security: What’s new for the week of March 23, 2015
• 3/27 Ovum: Facebook’s Messenger Platform takes measured steps towards a richer user experience
• 3/27 eMarketer: UK to Achieve World First as Half of Media Ad Spend Goes Digital
• 3/27 HP Security Products Blog: Securing the Internet of Things: Mapping IoT attack surface areas with the OWASP IoT Top 10 project
• 3/26 McAfee Blog Central:Cloud Computing – It’s a Question of Trust