|Innovating The Next Big Thing||April 16, 2014|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
iSuppli: Insatiable China to gobble up 84 MILLION PCs in 2012 Ultrabooks, Windows 8 and Ivy Bridge to fuel 13 per cent growth
Apr 19, 2012 – Phil Muncaster
China has cemented its position not only as the global leader in PC production but also an avid consumer, with sales set to surge 13 per cent in 2012 - more than twice the worldwide average.
The latest stats from market watcher IHS iSuppli predict shipments of 83.6 million units this year, up from 73.9 million units in 2011 and 67m in 2010, driven by Windows 8, Ultrabooks and Ivy Bridge.
These figures are all the more impressive when compared to Gartner’s recent predictions that worldwide PC shipments would grow by just 4.4 per cent during 2012.
China currently accounts for 22 per cent of the PC market and produces a whopping 90 per cent of the world’s supply of kit, according to iSuppli.
The country’s desktop PC will not be impacted by Thailand's flooding, which put a severe dent in the hard disk drive supply chain last year but which iSuppli says offers vendors great opportunities to flog gear to medical, traffic, energy and utilities firms looking to replace or purchase new systems in 2012.
However, it is the launch of Windows 8 and Intel’s Ivy Bridge processors which iSuppli said will really spur growth in the second half of the year, with the new operating system in particular giving rise to even more affordable PCs.
Ultrabooks will drive the notebook category in China, as they are threatening to do all over the world, accounting for 15-20 per cent of shipments in the People’s Republic in 2012.
However, pricing and performance have held them back so far, so it will be with the launch of Ivy Bridge that this Intel-led category begins to take off. For that to happen, prices must come down to the notebook average in China of 4-6000 yuan (£395-£595), the analyst argued.
There's no guarantee that this will happen in 2012, however, with some reports suggesting budget Ultrabooks won't be around until 2013, so iSuppli could be jumping the gun a bit on this prediction.
In the domestic PC market, Lenovo remains top with an overall share of around a third, while Acer has fought back after some well publicised losses to take second spot in the notebook market with a 9.5 per cent share, thanks to growth in Ultrabooks and all-in-one PCs.
HP, which has just five per cent of the Chinese PC market, is pinning its hopes on a range of new Windows 8 tablets in the second half of the year, iSuppli said. ®
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 4/1 Innovation Insights: Geospatial Technologies and Humanitarian Goals: Can Geospatial Technologies Inspire Sympathy?
• 3/25 Ovum: Ovum comments: SAP and Adobe to jointly resell Adobe Marketing Cloud
• 3/24 McAfee Blog: Online Tax Time Scams: How to Avoid
• 3/24 McAfee Blogs: McAfee SIEM Enables Cloud Security and Reduces time and resources for Compliance demands for DTS
• 3/24 Ovum: Ovum forecasts CSPs’ capex to remain flat, while telecom vendors face a tough marketplace
• 3/24 Gartner Says a Thirty-Fold Increase in Internet-Connected Physical Devices by 2020 Will Significantly Alter How the Supply Chain Operates
• 3/24 Gartner Says Healthcare Providers in Middle East & Africa To Spend US $ 2.8 Billion on IT In 2014
• 3/21 McAfee Blog: Google Docs Phishing Campaign is Frighteningly Accurate
• 3/20 HP Security Products Blog: Happiness is…securing your app before you launch it!
• 3/20 Wireless Watch: Google and Samsung both start with the watch, but then wearables agendas diverge
• 3/20 Faultline: Vivendi picks the devil it knows best in French bunfight over mobile
• 3/20 Faultline: All singing and dancing TV Connect live with OTT, mobile, dongles, RDK
• 3/20 Gartner Says European CRM Budgets Remain Strong Despite Economic Uncertainty
• 3/19 Ovum: Increase in financial markets IT spending points to end of credit crunch
• 3/19 Gartner Says the Internet of Things Will Transform the Data Center
• 3/19 Gartner Says 70 Percent of CIOs Will Change Their Technology and Sourcing Relationships in the Next Two to Three Years
• 3/19 HP Security Products Blog: Big announcements for 4th Annual HP Government Summit
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: Smartphone Kill Switch Could Become Federal Law
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: Anxious About Summer Already? Create a Family Gadget Plan
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: What is a Denial-of-Service Attack?
• 3/18 McAfee Blogs: Four Pillars Build the Foundation of Successful SIEM
• 3/17 McAfee Blogs: Online relationships are Anamorphic Illusions
• 3/17 McAfee Blogs: Experian ID Theft Exposed 200 Million Consumer Records
• 3/17 McAfee Blogs: Adaptive Threat Prevention – Reducing Attack Discovery to Containment in Milliseconds
• 3/17 Gartner Says Worldwide External Controller-Based Disk Storage Market Grew Five Percent in Fourth Quarter of 2013
• 3/13 McAfee Blogs: Anonymous, Syrian Electronic Army Lead Recent Hacktivist Actions
• 3/13 Ovum: Analyst view: EE’s ranking in RootMetrics study reflects its strategy for being one-step-ahead
• 3/13 Gartner Says Middle East & Africa IT Infrastructure Spending will Reach $3.5 Billion in 2014
• 3/13 eMarketer: Desktop Search to Decline $1.4 Billion as Google Users Shift to Mobile
• 3/13 Wireless Watch: Carrier aggregation reaches out to TDD and unlicensed spectrum
• 3/13 Wireless Watch: Carrier SDN needs to unify every network layer to maximize returns
• 3/12 McAfee Blogs: Analyzing the Uroburos PatchGuard Bypass
• 3/12 Ovum: Analyst View: Ovum sees security transformation underway
• 3/12 Ovum: Analyst view: MEPs voted for stronger protection for EU citizens’ personal data
• 3/12 Gartner Says New U.S. Government Rules Will Require IT Leaders to Consider How IT Infrastructure Can Help Promote Employment Opportunities for People with Disabilities
• 3/11 McAfee Blogs: Threats Timeline Tracks Recent Security Breaches
• 3/11 Ovum: Analyst view: Ifetel declares Telmex and Televisa as dominant in their respective markets in Mexico
• 3/11 Gartner Acquires Software Advice
• 3/11 Gartner Announces Customer 360 Summit 2014
• 3/11 eMarketer: AOL Rebounds as Programmatic, Video Push Double-Digit Growth
• 3/11 HP Security Products Blog: Consumers need security intelligence, too
• 3/10 Wireless Watch: WiFi Revisited - The effects of WiFi Offload
• 3/10 McAfee Blogs: Timeline of Bitcoin Events Demonstrates Online Currency’s Volatility
• 3/10 McAfee Blogs: Threat Intelligence Exchange: An Old Dog with Plenty of New Tricks
• 3/10 McAfee Blogs: Network Security Perspective: Point-of-Sale, Data Loss, and the Black Market
• 3/10 eMarketer: Mobile to Surpass Newspapers for UK Ad Spending
• 3/10 Canalys: Technology channel partners set for business transformation in 2014
• 3/9 McAfee Blogs: Welcome to the New McAfee Labs Quarterly Threats Report
• 3/9 Gartner Says Public Cloud Services in the Middle East and North Africa Region on Pace To Total $620 Million In 2014
• 3/7 HP Security Products Blog: How to prevent vulnerabilities in WiFi access points