|Innovating The Next Big Thing||July 24, 2014|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
Consumer Watchdog Calls on Apple to Prove New iPad Made Without Illegal Overtime
Mar 7, 2012 – Brett Abrams
SumOfUs.org “Calls Apple’s Bluff” On
Workers’ Rights, Demands Release Of Timecard Data for Employees Who
Made the New iPad.
The demand comes in the wake of revelations in the New York Times in January that Apple workers were roused en masse in the middle of the night to revamp the entire design of the first iPhone just weeks before launch.
“As Apple customers, we have a right to know whether the new iPad was manufactured illegally and unethically,” said Stinebrickner-Kauffman. “We hope as much as anyone that Apple has nothing to hide. If Apple releases genuine, original records that demonstrate that there has been no illegal overtime at iPad factories in the lead-up to the new product launch, then we will be the first to celebrate. But until Apple proves otherwise, we can only assume that they are bluffing about caring about workers’ health and safety -- and we’re calling that bluff.”
“Consumers are waking up to the consequences of Apple’s greed. We don’t want products made this way. We can wait a few more weeks if it means that workers get to sleep and see their families.”
The SumOfUs petition specifically calls for clock-in and clock-out times. Records that simply state total hours worked are insufficient, as they are easier to massage or doctor. Apple’s largest supplier, Foxconn, told the New York Times that its workers use computerized timecards – so their clock-in and clock-out times should be easy to collate and release. In recent years, Foxconn workers surveyed by independent researchers from a coalition of Chinese, Hong Kong and Taiwan universities reported an average of 83.2 hours of overtime a month, more than twice the amount of China’s legal limit of 36 hours per month. Workers also report the most severe violations during large pushes for new products, like the soon-to-be-released iPad HD. SumOfUs.org, a fast-growing advocacy group for consumer and workers, recently topped over 250,000 members worldwide.
SumOfUs petition with over 130,000 consumers calling for an ethical iPhone can be found here: http://sumofus.org/campaigns/ethical-iphone/
Its new petition page, calling for overtime data to be released, was sent to its members today and can be found here: http://sumofus.org/campaigns/ipad/.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Enterprise Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 6/23 HP Security Products Blog: Disrupting the innovator’s dilemma
• 6/23 McAfee Blogs: Multiparty authentication and cryptosystems in the IoT – part 3
• 6/19 HP Security Products Blog: Can the law keep up with technology advances?
• 6/19 McAfee Blogs: Buyer Beware: This Smartphone Comes with Malware Pre-Loaded
• 6/19 McAfee Blogs: Multiparty authentication and cryptosystems in the IoT – part 2
• 6/18 McAfee Blogs: Hackers Score a Goal with World Cup Scams
• 6/18 McAfee Blogs: How The State of Colorado Secured its Infrastructure with McAfee SIEM
• 6/18 iSuppli: In Complex Supply Chain, Knowles and Infineon are Top Suppliers of Packaged MEMS Microphones and Bare Microphone Dies
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Bridging the Tech Gap: A Snapchat Primer for Parents
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Workplace Wearables and the Loss of Privacy
• 6/17 McAfee Blogs: Thinking About Next-Generation Security and Cyberwarfare
• 6/17 Gartner Says Asia Pacific Enterprise Application Software Market Grew 6.5 Percent in 2013
• 6/17 Gartner Says Middle East and Africa Business Intelligence and Analytics Software Market Grew 11 Percent in 2013
• 6/16 HP Security Products Blog: Does personal accountability need to shift in business?
• 6/16 McAfee Blogs: What is Fake Antivirus Software?
• 6/16 Service Providers Need to Develop Different Core Competencies to Succeed in a Digital World
• 6/16 Gartner Announces Keynote Lineup for 2014 Gartner Security & Risk Management Summit
• 6/16 iSuppli: Amazon adds music to Prime Subscriptions
• 6/12 iSuppli: Wireless charging coming to all US Starbucks - but incompatible with most enabled devices
• 6/12 eMarketer: US TV Ad Market Still Growing More Than Digital Video
• 6/12 Faultline: US cable operators more unpopular than ever
• 6/12 Faultline: Cisco VNI pushes on, video to be 79% of all traffic
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Celebrating our partners’ success
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Celebrating our partners’ success
• 6/11 McAfee Blogs: Microsoft Patch Tuesday: June 2014
• 6/11 Gartner Identifies China's Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends in 2014
• 6/11 Gartner Says Mobile Apps Will Have a Significant Impact on Information Infrastructure
• 6/11 eMarketer: Worldwide Smartphone Usage to Grow 25% in 2014
• 6/10 Gartner Forecasts Indian Business Intelligence and Analytics Software Revenue to Reach $139.5 Million In 2014
• 6/10 Gartner Says Worldwide Security Software Market Grew 4.9 Percent in 2013
• 6/10 Gartner Announces Catalyst Conference 2014
• 6/9 HP Security Products Blog: What about 'the machine'?
• 6/9 HP Security Products Blog: Day 2 at Discover
• 6/9 McAfee Blogs: CISOs: What the New CSIS and McAfee Global Cost of Cybercrime Study Means for Your Business
• 6/9 Gartner Says Organizations Must Prepare for the Security Implications of the Digital Workplace
• 6/6 Gartner Says India PC Market Declined 20.6 Percent In The First Quarter Of 2014
• 6/5 McAfee Blogs: Teen Cyberbullying Triples, Emotional Impact Grows
• 6/5 McAfee Blogs: Apple Makes a Strong Push for the Internet of Things, But Will It be Secure?
• 6/4 HP Security Products Blog: Advanced analytics made easy with HAVEn
• 6/4 HP Security Products Blog: Viva Las Vegas! HP Enterprise Security Products represent at HP Discover 2014
• 6/4 McAfee Blogs: Massive Law Enforcement Operation Tells two Malware Variants it’s ‘Game Over’
• 6/4 McAfee Blogs: Backing Up the Claims: ESG Validates McAfee NGFW Strengths
• 6/4 Gartner Says Big Data Needs a Data-Centric Security Focus
• 6/4 Gartner Says by 2016, 25 Percent of the Top 50 Global Banks Will have Launched a Banking App Store for Customers
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: The Privacy Problems with Mobile Messaging Apps
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: Teens’ Online Behavior Can Get Them in Trouble
• 6/3 McAfee Blogs: Deterrence in Cyberspace Helps Prevent Cyberwar
• 6/3 Gartner Executive Programs Survey Identifies Regional Differences Between CIOs
• 6/2 HP Security Products Blog: Do data breaches influence investors?
• 6/2 McAfee Blogs: It’s ‘Game Over’ for Zeus and CryptoLocker