|Innovating The Next Big Thing||October 24, 2014|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Web Stats
• Ghost City
Over The River: WebInno33 Preview
Mar 2, 2012 – Greg Peverill-Conti
It’s time for the countdown to WebInno33! That’s right, there are only DAYS before the event so if you’re planning to attend you might want to sign up pretty soon. To make it easier for you, here’s the registration link. Now I’ve been going to WebInno for years – since 2006 or maybe 2007 – and for some time I’ve done these little previews of the companies. Guess what? I’m still doing them. I do want to let everyone know that I’m helping out with WebInno more than I have in the past. But double guess what? That isn’t going to change my approach to writing. So here’s what I think of the companies that will be presenting at WebInno33. Will I turn out to be insightful or an idiot? Only time – and you – will tell!
Main Dish Companies:
What I saw on the site didn’t do much for me (nor did their having a press release from 2010 at the top of the “What’s New” section). I’m going to keep an open mind though.
GatherEducation – Take a class online. Collaborate on projects. Share your success with everyone. This site is so secret that you can only sign up. That’s all. I’ll have to wait until Monday and by then it will be too late for me to say anything about them. ☹
Lifeables – Better Memories. I’m one of the luckiest people I know. Want to know why? I pretty much ONLY have happy memories. Ask me to cast my mind back to any period and what comes up are the good things. Oh sure, I can dredge up sad memories if I need to but who needs to? So at first, when I saw Lifeables (of course after I thought about Lunchables) I wondered if it was some new technology to improve our memories, or maybe to eradicate bad memories (someone was telling me about this the other day actually). Instead, it’s a site to help people curate their lives and the lives of those around them – mostly their kids.
I wanted to take the tour to understand how this is different say from Facebook for example. The site talks about being able to pull content (or have you push content) from your other sites into a Lifeables account. I think I’m going to need to see it to get it because right now I totally don’t.
Side Dish Companies:
Zoora – Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t know a lot about fashion. That makes Zoora a site that probably isn’t targeting me. It’s not like I’m a complete slob (frankly far from it) but when the site asks:
“So who hasn’t said this while shopping?
I am able to raise my hand and say “ME!” I can promise you I’ve never said any of those things while shopping or anywhere else. But if you have said those things then Zoora is probably something you’re going to love. To me it seems like a smart online stylist and I guess that’s cool. Someone will have to let me know if it is.
Mosaic Storage Systems – OMG I want this. I want this bad. Before you try to figure out what it is and why I want it I’ll tell you. It’s basically online storage for photographers that can integrate with software like Lightroom (which is what I use). I take a lot of photographs, in the tens of thousands per year. I also shoot pretty much exclusively in RAW so I consume disc space at a prodigious rate. My solution now is to carry multiple external drives with me (one with last year’s photos if I need them, another with this year’s and a third for photos taken for InkHouse clients and projects). This kinda works but I’ll be honest; it’s a pain in the ass. It means just that much more to carry, worry about, deal with and manage. The idea of being able to keep my photos safe and sound, access and edit them easily (oh man, I’m imagining not having to maintain separate Lightroom catalogs and it’s making me giddy) . . . Holy crap I want this.
OnTheBar – The Best Bartenders and the Best Bars, Right Now. I don’t know, as they say about cameras (that the best camera is the one you have with you), I think the best bartender is the one standing in front of you. That said, this app just won my heart and I haven’t even downloaded it yet. Why? Because when I went to the App Store to get it I saw my pal Rob Kraemer looking back at me. That’s probably not a good reason to be a fan of an app; but any app that’s a friend of Rob’s is a friend of mine. Cheers fellows!
Cangrade – Take the uncertainty out of hiring. Having seen Smarterer launch at WebInno and then meeting with Jennifer Fremont-Smith recently to find out how the company is doing (you can find out for yourself here), I consider myself an expert at screen and evaluation tools. Ha, just kidding. I do find these kinds of tools interesting though. There seems to be a difference in philosophy between the two companies. Smarterer feels much more approachable and less corporate while Cangrade seems more targeted at button-down types. I will say that I’m not crazy about the name (when I first saw it I thought the company might have something to do with recycling). I’ll be interested to check it out on Monday.
In conclusion . . .
Read the rest...
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 8/20 Gartner Identifies Eight Steps to Build a Compelling Business Case for Social Initiatives
• 8/19 Gartner Says Consumer 3D Printing Is More Than Five Years Away
• 8/14 Gartner Says Traditional Development Practices Will Fail for Mobile Apps
• 8/13 Ovum: Ovum forecasts global OC market to grow 8% in 2014
• 8/12 Plan Now to Avoid Windows XP Deja Vu With Windows 7
• 8/11 Gartner's 2014 Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies Maps the Journey to Digital Business
• 8/11 Gartner Says Chromebook Sales Will Reach 5.2 Million Units in 2014
• 8/10 Gartner Says Software Spending for Middle Eastern and North African Banking and Securities Firms to Grow More Than 9 Percent in 2014
• 8/7 Gartner Announces Symposium/ITxpo 2014, October 5-9, in Orlando
• 8/7 Faultline: EBU churlishly talks down LTE, but has no answers of its own
• 8/7 Faultline: Apple and Samsung stop fighting, notice Chinese creeping up
• 8/7 Canalys News: Canalys Channels Forums gather tech leaders to inspire and engage with partners and accelerate change
• 8/6 Gartner Says Indian Banking & Securities Firms To Spend 470 Billion Rupees on IT In 2014
• 8/4 Ovum: Ovum and Informa Telecoms & Media Research complete merger; creating a top-tier telecoms, media & IT research firm
• 8/4 Canalys News: Xiaomi becomes China’s top smart phone vendor
• 8/4 Canalys News: Notebook decline eases as tablet shipments level out
• 8/1 Ovum: Myanmar’s under-developed telecoms market is set to become the world’s fastest-growing
• 7/31 Wireless Watch: More twists and turns for Sprint as Iliad jumps in with TMO bid
• 7/31 Wireless Watch: European networks giants have adjusted to life with Huawei at last
• 7/30 Gartner Says India Security Market is on Pace to Grow 8 Percent in 2014
• 7/29 iSuppli: Fire Phone Hits the Sweet Spot for Hardware Costs, but Will Amazon's R&D Investment Pay Off?
• 7/25 Gartner Says IT Asset Managers and CIOs Should Work Together to Foster Digital Innovation and Avoid Technology Debt
• 7/24 Gartner Says Indias Mobile Services Market To Reach $19.2 Billion In 2014
• 7/24 Gartner Says Supply Chain Management Software Revenue Is on Course to Reach $10 Billion in 2014
• 7/24 Faultline: Poor awareness, content complacency; 4K TVs doomed to niche?
• 7/24 Faultline: Comcast will build over 1 million commercial hotspots in US
• 7/24 Wireless Watch: Subsidies out, non-handsets in, for the US’s big two carriers
• 7/24 Wireless Watch: The smartphone era is ending as the growth engine runs out of steam
• 7/23 McAfee Blogs: W32/Worm-AAEH Replaces Cryptor With One Used by Dofoil Downloaders
• 7/23 McAfee Blogs: The Firewall is Turning 25, but is it Really All Grown Up?
• 7/22 Ovum: Rushed analog switch-off threatens African TV
• 7/21 McAfee Blogs: 10 Experts, One Topic, 800 Million AETs
• 7/17 Ovum: Ovum Decision Matrix: Sustainable competitive advantage with the efficient use of data
• 7/17 Gartner Says the Business Consumer Requires a Digital Workplace
• 7/16 McAfee Blogs: Texas Tech University HSC Unifies Security and Compliance with McAfee SIEM Solutions
• 7/16 Ovum: To survive and thrive in today’s dynamic business climate, enterprises must treat data as an organizational asset, according to global analyst firm Ovum. Enterprises increasingly need to shift the basis of differentiation to focus on smarter
• 7/16 Gartner Says Mobile Application Strategies Will Be Transformed by Cognizant Computing
• 7/15 McAfee Blogs: Targeted Attacks on French Company Exploit Multiple Word Vulnerabilities
• 7/15 McAfee Blogs: Continuous Incident Response
• 7/15 Gartner Says CIOs Should Make Digital Business Technologies an IT Responsibility
• 7/15 Gartner Announces Keynote Lineup and Gartner Blueprints for Catalyst Conference 2014
• 7/15 iSuppli: Domestic Suppliers Dominate Chinese Solar Inverter Market as Demand Doubles
• 7/14 McAfee Blogs: Dofoil Downloader Update Adds XOR-, RC4-Based Encryption
• 7/14 Ovum: Analyst view: Amazon enters the file sync and share market with Zocalo
• 7/14 Ovum: Analyst view: Amazon enters the file sync and share market with Zocalo
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: The Impact of Red Team Drills
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: Integrating Threat Intelligence Into Your Security Program
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: Creating a Secure Guest Network
• 7/12 Frontline Sentinel: Onward Through the Cloud
• 7/10 Ovum: Analyst view: Teleperformance Group announced it will be buying Aegis’ US operations