|Innovating The Next Big Thing||March 31, 2015|
• Analyst Insights
• Enterprise Insights
• Network & Information Security
• Enterprise Mobility
• Remembering 9/11
Next Innovator Group
Feedjit Live Traffic Feed
• Ghost City
Barry's Book Shop
Over The River: WebInno33 Preview
Mar 2, 2012 – Greg Peverill-Conti
It’s time for the countdown to WebInno33! That’s right, there are only DAYS before the event so if you’re planning to attend you might want to sign up pretty soon. To make it easier for you, here’s the registration link. Now I’ve been going to WebInno for years – since 2006 or maybe 2007 – and for some time I’ve done these little previews of the companies. Guess what? I’m still doing them. I do want to let everyone know that I’m helping out with WebInno more than I have in the past. But double guess what? That isn’t going to change my approach to writing. So here’s what I think of the companies that will be presenting at WebInno33. Will I turn out to be insightful or an idiot? Only time – and you – will tell!
Main Dish Companies:
What I saw on the site didn’t do much for me (nor did their having a press release from 2010 at the top of the “What’s New” section). I’m going to keep an open mind though.
GatherEducation – Take a class online. Collaborate on projects. Share your success with everyone. This site is so secret that you can only sign up. That’s all. I’ll have to wait until Monday and by then it will be too late for me to say anything about them. ☹
Lifeables – Better Memories. I’m one of the luckiest people I know. Want to know why? I pretty much ONLY have happy memories. Ask me to cast my mind back to any period and what comes up are the good things. Oh sure, I can dredge up sad memories if I need to but who needs to? So at first, when I saw Lifeables (of course after I thought about Lunchables) I wondered if it was some new technology to improve our memories, or maybe to eradicate bad memories (someone was telling me about this the other day actually). Instead, it’s a site to help people curate their lives and the lives of those around them – mostly their kids.
I wanted to take the tour to understand how this is different say from Facebook for example. The site talks about being able to pull content (or have you push content) from your other sites into a Lifeables account. I think I’m going to need to see it to get it because right now I totally don’t.
Side Dish Companies:
Zoora – Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t know a lot about fashion. That makes Zoora a site that probably isn’t targeting me. It’s not like I’m a complete slob (frankly far from it) but when the site asks:
“So who hasn’t said this while shopping?
I am able to raise my hand and say “ME!” I can promise you I’ve never said any of those things while shopping or anywhere else. But if you have said those things then Zoora is probably something you’re going to love. To me it seems like a smart online stylist and I guess that’s cool. Someone will have to let me know if it is.
Mosaic Storage Systems – OMG I want this. I want this bad. Before you try to figure out what it is and why I want it I’ll tell you. It’s basically online storage for photographers that can integrate with software like Lightroom (which is what I use). I take a lot of photographs, in the tens of thousands per year. I also shoot pretty much exclusively in RAW so I consume disc space at a prodigious rate. My solution now is to carry multiple external drives with me (one with last year’s photos if I need them, another with this year’s and a third for photos taken for InkHouse clients and projects). This kinda works but I’ll be honest; it’s a pain in the ass. It means just that much more to carry, worry about, deal with and manage. The idea of being able to keep my photos safe and sound, access and edit them easily (oh man, I’m imagining not having to maintain separate Lightroom catalogs and it’s making me giddy) . . . Holy crap I want this.
OnTheBar – The Best Bartenders and the Best Bars, Right Now. I don’t know, as they say about cameras (that the best camera is the one you have with you), I think the best bartender is the one standing in front of you. That said, this app just won my heart and I haven’t even downloaded it yet. Why? Because when I went to the App Store to get it I saw my pal Rob Kraemer looking back at me. That’s probably not a good reason to be a fan of an app; but any app that’s a friend of Rob’s is a friend of mine. Cheers fellows!
Cangrade – Take the uncertainty out of hiring. Having seen Smarterer launch at WebInno and then meeting with Jennifer Fremont-Smith recently to find out how the company is doing (you can find out for yourself here), I consider myself an expert at screen and evaluation tools. Ha, just kidding. I do find these kinds of tools interesting though. There seems to be a difference in philosophy between the two companies. Smarterer feels much more approachable and less corporate while Cangrade seems more targeted at button-down types. I will say that I’m not crazy about the name (when I first saw it I thought the company might have something to do with recycling). I’ll be interested to check it out on Monday.
In conclusion . . .
Read the rest...
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Analyst Insights articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 3/13 Innovation Insights: Circumstances for the Success of the Apple Watch
• 3/10 Over The River: Make Time for Game Time
• 3/4 Innovation Insights: Zombie Projects: How to Find Them and Kill Them
• 2/27 IBM News: IBM Delivers Record Performance to Cloud, Mobile and Web App Developers
• 2/27 Gartner Highlights the Top 10 Strategic Technologies Impacting Education in 2015
• 2/27 HP Security Products Blog: Enterprise security: What’s new for the week of February 23, 2015
• 2/26 Innovation Insights: How Singapore Became an Entrepreneurial Hub
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Telekom Austria becomes a virtualization frontrunner
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Yahoo drives home mobile message with apps platform and developer event
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Google goes live with Android for Work, targeting better enterprise presence
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Dish continues to tantalize the US market with wireless plan hints
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Qualcomm’s Chromecast rival boosts mobile pay-TV hopes
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Comcast may follow Cablevision into mobile WiFi soon
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Bluetooth SIG forms mesh working group at last
• 2/26 Wireless Watch: Juniper and IBM team up on ‘smart networks’
• 2/26 Faultline: No 4K for 2016 Rio Olympics
• 2/26 Faultline: YouTube releases video app for children, subscription music too
• 2/26 Faultline: Vizio specs show 4K finally getting affordable, still not full UHD
• 2/26 Faultline: Viacom plays on MTV for global mobile OTT
• 2/26 Faultline: More set top makers threatened as RDK backs DVB services
• 2/26 Faultline: TiVo OTA hybrid opens door on 4.6m Frontier homes or more
• 2/25 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel to Support Android for Work
• 2/25 What is Driving Business Intelligence and Analytics in 2015?
• 2/25 eMarketer: BlackBerry’s UK User Base Plummets to Below 1 Million
• 2/25 eMarketer: BlackBerry’s UK User Base Plummets to Below 1 Million
• 2/25 HP Security Products Blog: What does being "Certified" mean, anyway?
• 2/25 Intel News: Chip Shot: Intel® XDK Provides New Game Tools and Services for HTML5 Developers
• 2/25 Ovum: Analyst View: Samsung’s entry into the Mobile Payments Market poses more challenges to Google than Apple
• 2/24 IBM News: Shiseido Teams with IBM to Empower Its Beauty Consultants with Mobile Apps That Change the Way They Work
• 2/24 IBM News: Citi and IBM Align to Accelerate Digital Banking Innovation Through Citi Mobile Challenge
• 2/24 IBM News: IBM And Juniper Networks Partner To Build Smarter Networks With Predictive Analytics
• 2/24 Gartner Says By 2018, 40 Percent of Large Enterprises Will Have Formal Plans to Address Aggressive Cybersecurity Business Disruption Attacks
• 2/23 IBM News: IBM Continues Expansion of Global Cloud Centers to Support Hybrid Cloud Growth
• 2/23 IBM News: IBM and CSC Expand Partnership to Help Growing Ecosystem Develop and Modernize Applications to the IBM Cloud
• 2/23 IBM News: IBM and Tech Mahindra Join Hands to Accelerate Global Hybrid Cloud Adoption
• 2/23 Will New Challengers Disrupt the Mobile Phone Market in 2015?
• 2/23 HP Security Products Blog: Known Issues Plague Threat Landscape
• 2/21 Innovation Insights: The Strategic Mistake Almost Everybody Makes
• 2/20 IBM News: IBM Studio Opens in London to Transform the Client Experience
• 2/20 HP Security Products Blog: Enterprise security: What’s new for the week of February 16, 2015
• 2/19 IBM News: IBM Unveils Next Generation Flash Storage Solutions
• 2/19 Wireless Watch: Mobile players prepare their MWC catwalk shows
• 2/19 Wireless Watch: Qualcomm’s new Snapdragons aim to put 610’s woes behind it
• 2/19 Wireless Watch: Samsung buys LoopPay, challenging both Apple and NFC
• 2/19 Wireless Watch: Orange CEO clings to quad play optimism
• 2/19 Wireless Watch: Ofcom opens the way for UK white spaces deployments this year
• 2/19 Faultline: NCTA shows hand, warns of Title II litigation showdown
• 2/19 Faultline: Last chance saloon for Sony as it tries something new – profitability
• 2/19 Faultline: Orange CEO sees reasons for optimism where others might despair
• 2/19 HP Security Products Blog: HP gets serious about end-to-end data protection